Friday, July 17, 2009

Last day, misty 72 F or 22 C

Slept for a few hours and got up early, nice cuppa on the balcony watching the fog disappearing to the sea.

From July 17


From July 17

Today is our last day, I have loved the beach and enjoyed the change of scenery but am happy to go back home and sleep in my own bed again.
We need to do some last minute shopping and decide to pick up some ‘outlandish’ cigars for son in law from the Indian tobacco store after a stop at the ‘espresso’ standwe head back to Tokeland Indian reservation. They have some funny stuff here, real interesting flavored cigars and nice artwork. It never stops to amaze me how here in the US run down store buildings where you normally in Europe would think twice before going in, turned out to be wonderful stylish modern decorated stores. But on the outside it looks horrible! I guess they live on word of mouth or so because the outside is not an advertisement for their business.

I had great fun looking at all the Indian memorabilia, there were some wonderful pieces of art, beyond my budget of course. But I went home with 6 packs of interesting cigars that I’m sure he will enjoy every now and than. At least they will be a great conversation starter. ;-)

After that we went back to Westport and shopped some more at the boardwalk, found a small patio were we could eat with the dogs and were they sold fish and chips. We decided to walk the trail that starts at our condo and end here at the boardwalk to walk from this side. We didn’t do the last piece of it and I was hoping to find some shells to take home. W. climbed the view tower and took some pictures and than we walked and strolled for a bit. No such luck with the shells, so I guess I will have to do with the sand dollars W. found for me when he was doing a beach run with Fynn pup.

Photos of the path true the dunes and view from the tower.


Home for siesta for me and packing and preparing for the drive home tomorrow.

This area is real nice and paradise if you have dogs, they are allowed to run free on the beach and as you can see we had mostly the beach for ourselves and this was in July! As far as humans are concerned we enjoyed the few days of rest, peace and quiet but a bit more attractions or things to do would have been nice. It was a pity a lot of restaurants, shops and cafes were boarded up because of the bad economy, that didn’t make the area more attractive. We love to eat out on vacation but there was no decent restaurant open in the neighborhood. Restaurants that only open on the weekends I tend to avoid like the pest. From my own restaurant experience I know that they don’t always use fresh ingredients when only open on weekends, trash sometimes sits for a week inside and basically it’s just unsanitary and salmonella or food poisoning waiting to happen.

All in all I can recommend the Westport area if you have dogs that love the beach, there are plenty of condos that allow pets and for small children it can be a blast too!

My next vacation will hopefully be more ‘human’ oriented, I had a ball with the pups but sometimes you just want to do some grown up things. ;-)

Till next time!

# # #

No comments:

Post a Comment