Sunday, July 12, 2009

Rain rain go away! 52F today or 12C.

We woke up to a gray sky, the weather channel already warned us that there could be rain today but we didn’t worry about it. After all we’re from Portland, Oregon where they call rain 'liquid sunshine' and are used to a bit of a drizzle.

After breakfast we drove to the harbor to check out the boats, the boardwalk, the small shops and the restaurants.

Westport is really hub for fishing addicts, everything one would every need to go deep sea fishing is available here. Billboards with advertisements for charters line the roads, one more adventurous than the other, boats with glass bottoms so you can see the fish were also available.
We didn’t see the charters go out because they leave very early in the morning around 4 or 5 AM.

We did see the boats and small sheds on the floats that sold fresh fish, cleaned and well, caught just hours ago. Of course we bought some fresh tuna loins, nice large pieces for $5.00!

The rain kept drizzling, luckily the stores on the boardwalk were partly covered so we didn’t get too wet. I had my large black cape with me that covers my legs nicely when I’m on my scooter. It has 2 sides, one is black and water proof and the other is gray-ish with read and blue stripes and is a kind of fleece. It also has a hood that can be taken off, it’s my most favorite thing to wear when we go out on a trail of park. It’s always warm, I don’t have to worry about getting it dirty with the dogs and all. It’s the best bargain I ever bought on Ebay, I got it for $3.00 and I wouldn’t miss it for the world.

Of course I could not ignore the 'specialty', the salt water Taffy's, I bought a pound for $4.50 and stupidly lost it when we got home. I guess I placed it on the roof of the car before I got in, *sigh*, it’s not the first time something like that happens to me. ;-) Now we will have to go back ;-)

After dropping off the Tuna at home and in the fridge we went to the beach in Grayland. The beaches in Grayland have beach access for cars, meaning you can drive your car on the wet sand of the beach, rules of the road are in place, like right of way etc. ;-)
Grayland is famous for it's cranberry fields. 30% of the cranberry juice in the US stems from the cranberry fields in this area. It's the home of OceanSpray!


Today was also the last day of the kite festival that I really wanted to see. Those large kites are also so impressive I think and the ones that they make dance to music are also great fun to watch. Unfortunately because of the rain there were only a couple of kites bravely in the air. They sight was indeed gray because of the weather and very few people were on the beach.

Here is a photo from the day before.


I for one am very grateful that you can drive with your car on the beach because it means I can drive my scooter on the beach and have part of the fun! Who knew? I never expected to feel the soft beach sand between my toes again in my lifetime! I can hardly walk from the kitchen at home to the living room let alone walk on a beach! Imagine my joy of being able to drive my scooter on that beach and sit in the sand with my tootsies stuck in the soft sand! Pure ecstasy! I lived and worked on a Dutch Island called Ameland in the North Sea, for quiet some time and spend many many summer and falls there and learned to love the sea and the solitude of the beach. I have such fond memories of friendships, fun, laughter, loyalty and the smells of sunscreen, salty air, wet jeans and all nighters! ;-)

The dogs had a blast on the beach even though the rain still drizzled, they didn’t seem to mind at all and neither did we. Lotte looked 10 years younger, her long ears flapping in the wind and she would run after the tennis ball. Fynn being his usual happy-go-lucky persona has fun no matter where he is as long as we are there and he can chase his ball.
It was great fun and our heads felt clear, all worries and stress of the last months blew away and we could finally laugh out loud again for a change. ;-) After an hour and a half we went back home. My dear old scooter had no problems at all with the wet sand, even though I’m a voluptous person and we load all the bags, the ball, water and the camera bag onto it ;-)
See the slideshow belo for our Sunday beach pics.

Please click on a photo to go to the album and see the larger ones.




Within 5 minutes we were in our temporary home again with buzzing heads from the wind and rain and exhausted puppies. It was time for my siesta, W. went to the store to get some stuff for a salad and a baguette to go with the tuna and salad. The restaurants here do not have patio’s dining unfortunately which means we will have to eat at home. We won’t let the dogs in the car by themselves, we didn’t bring their crates as there was not enough room left in the car. Oh well, we’ll just have to do some more eating out at home and to be honest, what can beat the taste of freshly caught tuna, seared in butter with just some salt and pepper, a lovely salad and a crusty baguette?

In the evening we had tea on our balcony, than while W. prepared supper I just enjoyed the peace and quiet and relaxed.

It’s time for bed now and lets hope that we will get some sleep this time. Last night was horrible as I predicted W. threw himself around in the bed like it was a trampoline, and even he admitted he didn’t sleep well. i got about 3 hours of sleep i guess, every time I dozed off I bounced around in the bed again because my DH did not lie still ;-) *not to self; tell W. about the couch that turns into a queen bed when you pull it out. Maybe he wants to sleep there by himself*.

Nite nite all!

# # #

No comments:

Post a Comment